- adj. 年轻的；初期的；没有经验的
- n. 年轻人；（动物的）崽，仔
- n. (Young)人名；(中)杨(广东话·威妥玛)；(柬)永；(英、葡)扬
CET4 TEM4 考 研 CET6
- young: [OE] Young is part of a widespread family of words that go back to Indo-European *juwngkós ‘young’ (others include Welsh ieuanc, Irish ōg, and Sanskrit juvaçás). And this in turn was derived from *juwen-, which produced Latin juvenis (source of English junior, juvenile, etc), Lithuanian jaunas, Russian junyj, Bulgarian jun, etc.
The Indo-European adjective passed into prehistoric Germanic as *juwunggaz. This was later contracted to *junggaz, which evolved into German jung, Dutch jong, Swedish and Danish ung, and English young. Youth [OE], and its relatives German Jugend and Dutch jeugd, go back to prehistoric West Germanic *jugunth-, an alteration of *juwunth-, which was derived from *juwunggaz ‘young’.
=> junior, juvenile, yeoman, youth
- young (n.)
- "young animals collectively, offspring," late 15c., from young (adj.).
- young (adj.)
- Old English geong "youthful, young; recent, new, fresh," from Proto-Germanic *juwunga- (cognates: Old Saxon and Old Frisian jung, Old Norse ungr, Middle Dutch jonc, Dutch jong, Old High German and German jung, Gothic juggs), from PIE *yuwn-ko-, suffixed form of root *yeu- "vital force, youthful vigor" (cognates: Sanskrit yuva "young," Latin juvenis "young," Lithuanian jaunas, Old Church Slavonic junu, Russian junyj "young," Old Irish oac, Welsh ieuanc "young").
From c. 1830-1850, Young France, Young Italy, etc., were loosely applied to "republican agitators" in various monarchies; also, especially in Young England, Young America, used generally for "typical young person of the nation." For Young Turk, see Turk.
- 1. A young man plunged from a sheer rock face to his death.
- 2. Traditionally young Asians in Britain have gravitated towards medicine, law and engineering.
- 3. I remember being very young and being totally enamored of him.
- 4. Young people came from the four corners of the nation.
- 5. She called her young son: "Here, Stephen, come and look at this!"
[ young 造句 ]