- democrat (n.)
- 1790, "adherent of democracy," with reference to France, from French démocrate (18c., opposed to aristocrate), back-formation from démocratie (see democracy); revived in U.S. as a political party affiliation 1798, with a capital D. As a shortening of this, Demo (1793) is older than Dem (c. 1840).
- 1. The Liberal Democrat'ssupport fell away at the last minute.
- 2. Congressman Tom Downey is a Democrat from New York.
- 3. He was in Georgia stumping for Senator Wyche Fowler, a Democrat.
- 4. The Democrat candidate is the favorite to win election.
- 5. The governorship went to a Democrat, Mrs Anne Richards.
[ democrat 造句 ]