- hob: see hub
- hob (n.)
- "side of fireplace," 1670s, alteration of hubbe (1510s), of unknown origin, perhaps somehow related to the first element in hobnail.
- Hob (n.)
- "clown, prankster," short for hobgoblin (q.v.). Hence, to play (the) hob "make mischief" (by 1834).
- 1. I know Hob won't believe this, but it's true.
- 我知道霍布是不会相信这一点的, 但这是千真万确的.
- 2. Hob will keep interrupting the lessons to tell his funny stories.
- 3. I was just going to give Hob a private lesson.
- 4. Hob has made a joke; I'll make a cup of tea.
- 霍布说了个笑话, 我来泡杯茶.
- 5. Hob is not a bad fellow on the whole.
[ hob 造句 ]