1、pen- "almost" => is not enough, is unsatisfactory, scarce.
2、pen- + -ury.
3、由此得出该词含义为：want, need, scarcity.
- penury (n.)
- c. 1400, from Latin penuria "want, need; scarcity," related to paene "scarcely."
- 1. Hardship and penury wore him out before his time.
- 2. A succession of bad harvest had reduced the small farmer to penury.
- 3. He was brought up in penury, without education.
- 4. A succession of bad harvests had reduced the small farmers to penury.
- 5. He was talking about the embarrassment penury - and advocating higher salaries for MPs.
[ penury 造句 ]