- oppressive (adj.)
- 1640s, from Medieval Latin oppressivus, from oppress-, past participle stem of opprimere (see oppress). Related: Oppressively; oppressiveness.
- 1. The new laws will be just as oppressive as those they replace.
- 2. The oppressive afternoon heat had quite tired him out.
- 3. This country still had a deeply oppressive, unequal and divisive political system.
- 4. My desire to be rich was an insane, unwholesome, oppressive desire.
- 5. The little room was windowless and oppressive.
[ oppressive 造句 ]