- n. 毛毯，毯子；毯状物，覆盖层
- adj. 总括的，全体的；没有限制的
- vt. 覆盖，掩盖；用毯覆盖
CET4 TEM4 考 研 TOEFL CET6
blank, 白的。-et, 小词后缀。原指一块白布，后指白毯子，毯子。
- blanket (n.)
- c. 1300, "bed-clothing; white woolen stuff," from Old French blanchet "light wool or flannel cloth; an article made of this material," diminutive of blanc "white" (see blank (adj.), which had a secondary sense of "a white cloth." Wet blanket (1830) is from the notion of a person who throws a damper on social situations like a wet blanket smothers a fire. In U.S. history, a blanket Indian (1859) was one using the traditional garment instead of wearing Western dress.
Only 26,000 blanket Indians are left in the United States. ["Atlantic Monthly," March 1906]
- blanket (v.)
- c. 1600, "to cover with or as with a blanket;" also "to toss in a blanket" (as punishment), from blanket (n.). Related: Blanketed; blanketing.
- 1. There's an extra blanket in the bottom drawer of the cupboard.
- 2. Scoop the blanket weed out and use it to line hanging baskets.
- 3. Wrap your baby snugly in a shawl or blanket.
- 4. His brother beat out the flames with a blanket.
- 5. The blanket will provide additional warmth and comfort in bed.
[ blanket 造句 ]