CET4 TEM4 IELTS GRE 考 研 TOEFL
前缀ab-, 离开，断开。词根rupt, 断开，见corrupt, 词源同river, 水流冲刷。
- abrupt (adj.)
- 1580s, from Latin abruptus "broken off, precipitous, disconnected," past participle of abrumpere "break off," from ab- "off" (see ab-) + rumpere "break" (see rupture (n.)). Related: Abruptly; abruptness.
- 1. Cross was a little taken aback by her abrupt manner.
- 2. Then in a tone of abrupt harshness, he added, "Open these trunks!".
- 3. Mullins knocked me off-balance with his abrupt change of subject.
- 4. An abrupt change of location can be disorienting.
- 5. He was abrupt to the point of rudeness.
[ abrupt 造句 ]