TEM8 IELTS GRE
- vanquish:  Vanquish was adapted from vainquiss-, the stem form of Old French vainquir ‘defeat’. This was derived from vaintre ‘defeat’, a descendant of Latin vincere ‘defeat’ (source also of English convince, invincible , victory, etc).
=> convince, invincible, victory
- vanquish (v.)
- mid-14c., "to defeat in battle, conquer," from Old French venquis-, extended stem of veintre "to defeat," from Latin vincere "defeat" (see victor). Influenced in Middle English by Middle French vainquiss-, present stem of vainquir "conquer," from Old French vainkir, alteration of veintre. Related: Vanquished; vanquishing.
- 1. He tried to vanquish his fears.
- 2. His success vanquish his fears.
- 3. If I stayed on a lonely island, I absolutely couldn't vanquish dangers.
- 如果我在一个孤岛上, 我绝对不能克服危险.
- 4. Q : Aston Martin call it the Vanquish, we call it the Vanish.
- 阿士顿马田 叫它消敌, 我们叫它消失.
- 5. Gao Taigong asks Wang Tianshi a Sorcerer to vanquish this demon.
[ vanquish 造句 ]