- n. 故事；小说；新闻报道；来历；假话
- vt. 用历史故事画装饰
- vi. 说谎
- n. (Story)人名；(英)斯托里
CET4 TEM4 考 研 CET6
缩写自 history,历史，故事，叙述。后与 history 产生词义上的差别。引申词义楼层，可能来 自中世纪在窗户上装饰的叙述故事的图案。比较 sport 缩写自 disport,Spain 缩写自 Hispanic.
- story:  Story comes via Anglo-Norman estorie from Latin historia ‘account of events, narrative, history’ (source also of English history and storey). It originally retained the senses ‘factual account of past events’ and ‘past events in general’, but since the 17th century these have gradually been taken over by history, and the use of story has been concentrated more on ‘fictional narratives’.
=> history, storey
- story (n.1)
- "connected account or narration of some happening," c. 1200, originally "narrative of important events or celebrated persons of the past," from Old French estorie, estoire "story, chronicle, history," from Late Latin storia, shortened from Latin historia "history, account, tale, story" (see history). Meaning "recital of true events" first recorded late 14c.; sense of "narrative of fictitious events meant to entertain" is from c. 1500. Not differentiated from history till 1500s. As a euphemism for "a lie" it dates from 1690s. Meaning "newspaper article" is from 1892. Story-line first attested 1941. That's another story "that requires different treatment" is attested from 1818. Story of my life "sad truth" first recorded 1938, from typical title of an autobiography.
- story (n.2)
- "floor of a building," c. 1400, from Anglo-Latin historia "floor of a building" (c. 1200), also "picture," from Latin historia (see history). "Perhaps so called because the front of buildings in the Middle Ages often were decorated with rows of painted windows" [Barnhart].
- 1. She probably sensed that I wasn'ttelling her the whole story.
- 2. The story ascends from a gothic tragedy to a miraculous fairy-tale.
- 3. Lucilla often asks her sisters to retell the story.
- 4. The town of whitby was immortalised in Bram Stoker's famous Dracula story.
- 5. Every line etched on her face told a story of personal anguish.
[ story 造句 ]