英 [ɪ'merɪtəs; iː-]
e-, 向外。-mer, 服务，部分，词源同merit, polymer.原指服完兵役的老兵，或尽得自己应尽职责的人，后用于退休教授荣誉头衔。
- emeritus (adj.)
- c. 1600, from Latin emeritus "veteran soldier who has served his time," noun use of adjective meaning literally "that has finished work, past service," past participle of emerere "serve out, complete one's service," from assimilated form of ex- "out" (see ex-) + merere "to serve, earn," from PIE *(s)mer- (2) "to get a share of something" (see merit (n.)). First used of retired professors 1794 in American English.
- 1. He will continue as chairman emeritus.
- 2. the Emeritus Professor of Biology
- 3. " Perhaps I can introduce Mr. Lake Kirby , an emeritus professor from Washington University ? "
- 请允许我介绍华盛顿大学名誉教授 莱克柯尔比 先生.
来自英汉 - 翻译样例 - 口语
- 4. I am to disapprove of those who defer emeritus age.
- 5. Tom Chandler is the Poet Laureate Emeritus of Rhode Island.
[ emeritus 造句 ]