前缀be-, 强调。rate, 责备，古词，同拉丁词reputare, 反复考量，词源同reputation, 名声。
- berate: see rate
- berate (v.)
- 1540s, from be- "thoroughly" + Middle English rate "to scold" (late 14c.), from Old French reter "accuse, blame," from Latin reputare (see reputation). "Obsolete except in U.S." [OED 1st ed.], but it seems to have revived in Britain 20c. Related: Berated; berating.
- 1. She began to berate the police for paying scant attention to the theft from her car.
- 2. He feared she would berate him for his forgetfulness.
- 3. She might have taken the opportunity to berate scientists for their closed mind.
- 4. She might have taken the opportunity to berate scientists for their closed minds.
- 5. But to ban them and berate them seems doubly dippy.
[ berate 造句 ]