- pron. 这；这个；这里
- adj. 这；本；这个；今
- adv. 这样地；这么
- n. (This)人名；(法)蒂斯
CET4 TEM4 考 研 CET6
来自古英语 this,这个，来自 North Sea Germanic*tha-si,这个，来自 PIE*to,指示代词，词源同 that,they.-s,在 North Sea Germanic 表限定性后缀。
- this: [OE] This is descended from the neuter form of the Old English demonstrative adjective and pronoun whose masculine form was thes. It was formed in the prehistoric Germanic period from the demonstrative base *tha- (source also of English that, there, etc) and a suffix *-se which had the function of indicating a specific thing.
=> the, those
- this (pron.)
- Old English þis, neuter demonstrative pronoun and adjective (masc. þes, fem. þeos), probably from a North Sea Germanic pronoun *tha-si-, formed by combining the base *þa- (see that) with -s, which is probably identical with Old English se "the" (representing here "a specific thing"), or with Old English seo, imperative of see (v.) "to behold." Compare Old Saxon these, Old Frisian this, Old Norse þessi, Middle Dutch dese, Dutch deze, Old High German deser, German dieser.
Once fully inflected, with 10 distinct forms (see table below); the oblique cases and other genders gradually fell away by 15c. The Old English plural was þæs (nominative and accusative), which in Northern Middle English became thas, and in Midlands and Southern England became thos. The Southern form began to be used late 13c. as the plural of that (replacing Middle English tho, from Old English þa) and acquired an -e (apparently from the influence of Middle English adjective plurals in -e; compare alle from all, summe from sum "some"), emerging early 14c. as modern those.
About 1175 thes (probably a variant of Old English þæs) began to be used as the plural of this, and by 1200 it had taken the form these, the final -e acquired via the same mechanism that gave one to those.
- 1. He was hand-picked for this job by the Admiral.
- 2. This brings us to the second question I asked.
- 3. Few would argue that this team has experience and proven ability.
- 4. It was just gone 7 o'clock this evening when I finished.
- 5. When the right woman comes along, this bad dream will be over.
[ this 造句 ]