- n. 刺针；刺棒；签子
- vt. 刺，戳；刺激
- vi. 刺；捅
TEM8 GRE TOEFL
1. p (音“破”) + rod "杆子、棍子" =》用杆子、棍子刺破。
- prod (v.)
- 1530s, "to poke with a stick," of uncertain origin; possibly [Barnhart] a variant of brod, from Middle English brodden "to goad," from Old Norse broddr "shaft, spike" (see brad), or perhaps imitative [OED]. Figurative sense is recorded from 1871. Related: Prodded; prodding.
- prod (n.)
- 1787, "pointed instrument used in prodding;" 1802, "act of prodding;" from prod (v.).
- 1. He gave the donkey a mighty prod in the backside.
- 2. Prod the windowsills to check for signs of rot.
- 3. You'd better give her memory a prod.
- 4. The report should prod the Government into spending more on the Health Service.
- 5. He has a short fuse , and they poke and prod to see if he will explode.
- 他易于激动, 因此他们故意拨弄他,看看他是否会发火.
[ prod 造句 ]